Demolition of Battery Green Car Park gets under way
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The demolition of a Lowestoft car park is now under way.
Contractors began work to remove Battery Green Car Park on Monday, November 13.
Scaffolding has been installed around the facility to secure the outside as contractors take the building apart 'piece by piece'.
A ground level surface car park will replace the current four-storey facility until future development plans are reached. Work is scheduled to be completed within 13 weeks.
Motorists will be unaffected by the work however pedestrians travelling around the area will be impacted.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Waveney District Council (WDC) said: 'In consultation with Suffolk Highways appropriate signage will be put in place so people are aware of any temporary footpath closures.'
WDC announced the closure of the car park in December 2016, with the facility finally closing on March 31 this year.
- 1 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 2 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 3 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 4 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 9 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
- 10 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street
What do you think about the removal of Battery Green Car Park? Email your thoughts to email@example.com or write to Lowestoft Journal, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft, NR32 1NB.