Quiet community in shock after man stabbed to death
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Detectives are continuing to quiz a 23-year-old suspect after a man was stabbed to death in Lowestoft.
Police were called to Underwood Close in the town at 11.14pm on Saturday after reports that a 28-year-old man had serious injuries.
The victim was treated by emergency services at the scene for stab wounds before being transferred to James Paget Hospital in Gorleston where he later died.
The man from Lowestoft was arrested in the town on suspicion of murder. He is being questioned at Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre.
On Sunday night, police confirmed a superintendent's extension had been secured to keep him in custody for a further 12 hours.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives believe it was a targeted attack. The victim's relatives have been informed.
The quiet area has been left in shock.
- 1 Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- 2 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 3 ‘Great opportunity’: Flats in coastal town set for auction
- 4 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 5 Thief smashed window to steal money box from car
- 6 Filthy houses sought to feature in Channel 5 show
- 7 Development of iconic Gull Wing bridge to be documented by local company
- 8 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 9 New policy unveiled for commemorative benches across district
- 10 Visually impaired woman urges people with diabetes to get retinal screenings
A police cordon is in place on Bentley Drive from Rodber Way to Quinnell Way, with three police officers and three vehicles positioned around its perimeter.
A forensic van is also at the scene.
Dawn Faulkner, who has lived in Rodber Way for seven years, said she used to work with the mother of the man who was killed.
She said: 'It's just awful. He was her everything.
'I first heard about it at 2.20am last night because my daughter called me saying she couldn't get home because the police had taped everywhere off.
'They were telling people to find alternative accommodation because they were doing forensics.
'There were no diversions signs in place but I managed to find a way to get her. There were lots of people waiting around at the roundabout, not knowing what to do, having probably spent all their money on taxis and a big day of football.
'You never see a soul around here usually. It's the quietest place I've ever lived.'
A woman who has lived in nearby Aspen Coppice for 15 years said she assumed there had been a car crash.
She said: 'I was trying to get through to go to Tesco but when I saw the tape I thought someone must have crashed.
'Now I'm hearing there was a murder. Normally this is a very, very quiet area. The neighbours are all very kind as it is a safe place to live.'
Det Chief Insp Mike Brown said: 'While an arrest has been made we are continuing to make a number of enquiries and this remains a live and active investigation. I would urge anyone who has any information which may be of help to call us.'
Members of the public can expect to see an increased police presence in the area during the day as enquiries into the circumstances of the man's death continue.
Officers want to hear from anyone who may have seen the attack or may have been in the area at the time, in particular those with dash cam footage or may have information about it.
Any witnesses are asked to contact Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigations Team on 101 quoting Operation Ardwick or investigation reference 37/37772/18. Alternatively, people can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers 100pc anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via their Anonymous Online Form at crimestoppers-uk.org.