Former firefighter and dinner lady celebrate diamond wedding anniversary at care home
- Credit: Archant
A former firefighter and former dinner lady have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary together in a Covid-secure fashion.
Margaret Bullen, 86 and John Bullen, 84, have been married for 60 years and celebrated the day together at Carlton Hall in Lowestoft where they live.
Mr Bullen used to serve as a fire fighter for many years when the station was based at Normanston Drive and then later on in his life went on to work as a magistrate in the courts.
Among other jobs, Mrs Bullen worked as a dinner lady for many years at the Warren School.
Mrs Bullen lives in the central home and Mr Bullen lives in a residential bungalow on site.
You may also want to watch:
Due to coronavirus restrictions, Mr and Mrs Bullen celebrated the day by having a socially distanced get together in Mrs Bullen’s room with four other people present on the patio.
Mr Bullen spent the day with his wife in full PPE and recalled their wedding day together by playing their favourite hymns and playing a Mr and Mrs Quiz.
- 1 Memorial service for 'wonderful' veteran who helped the community
- 2 'Special' feeling for care home staff following award nominations
- 3 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 4 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 5 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 6 How businesses which opened in lockdown are doing now
- 7 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 8 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 9 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 10 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
Mrs Bullen is a fan of Queen Elizabeth II and was delighted to receive a card from Her Majesty.
Mr and Mrs Bullen’s daughter Marion Diamond was initially worried that the surprise gathering for her parents would not go ahead at the home.
This was because it relied on a number of factors such as whether it would rain, whether the care home would go into lockdown and weather Mrs Bullen would be well enough for the gathering.
However, it all went ahead as planned and Marion, described the excellent care her parents have received throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Mrs Diamond said: “The staff have been amazing throughout these last few months, we celebrated both of their birthdays with a drive through visit, where the hall supplied cake and bunting. They are the only couple that are in this unique position.
“Dad chose to stay in lockdown at the home back in March instead of coming to live with us so he could still see mum.”