Did others venture Down Under?
SOME will have you believe that your school years are the best years of your life.But whether or not you agree with that, there is little doubt that they leave you with lasting memories, stories and relationships that will have you reminiscing on a regular basis.
SOME will have you believe that your school years are the best years of your life.
But whether or not you agree with that, there is little doubt that they leave you with lasting memories, stories and relationships that will have you reminiscing on a regular basis.
This was proven in Turning Back the Clock last month when a photograph of Church Road School dating back to the 1940s caused much intrigue for readers.
That photo was taken by Iris Richardson, of Penzance, but now we have received contact concerning former students who have travelled even further afield.
You may also want to watch:
Maurice Smith, formerly of Oulton, now of Cairns, Australia, sent in two photographs from 1947 that he had previously had printed in The Journal. He was at the school from 1944-1948 and hoped that the photographs would help find out whether more former students from the Lowestoft school had made their way to the other side of the globe.
The boys' picture shows, left to right, (back): Kenneth Wright, Barry Foyster, John Wright, Christopher Baxter, Roy Gooch, Frank Utting, Paul Howlett, Barry Pavitt, Freddy William, Tom Montague. (Centre) David Thorpe, Alan Chilvers, Maurice Smith, Brian Archer, Robert Knights, William Hoggett, Brian Parker, Graham Ling, unknown, Ian Able. (Front) Frank Hall, William Botson, Edward Collett, David Mullender, Ivan Woolaston, David Beamish, Norman Ayers, David Turrell.
- 1 Duo spared jail for breaking birthday party-goer's jaw in two places
- 2 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
- 3 New service manager unveiled at care home in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged with robbery after threatening staff with toy gun
- 5 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 6 Alexa Auto stolen from car during early morning theft in Lowestoft
- 7 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 New lease of life with go-ahead for apartments above former McDonalds
- 9 Further overnight works scheduled for A47 with north Lowestoft closure
- 10 Man appears in court charged with toy gun robbery in Lowestoft
The girls' picture shows (back) Margaret Kilner, Jennifer Warnes, Rosetta Davis, Rosemary Chapman, Pat Baldry, Sheila Huckle. (Centre) Freda Parnell, Romaine Rouse, Pauline, Gloria Carl, Dawn Jefferson. (Front) Mary Bowles, Rosemary Chamberlain, Anita Curtis, Margaret Bemment, Molly Sterry, Margaret Huggins.
Mr Smith said: 'Of the girls several are local still. Rosemary Chapman's sister, not pictured, moved to Perth then Darwin, Australia, while her brother John moved to New Zealand. Dawn Jefferson's brother moved to Brisbane and I will be living near Cairns as from July 1 this year.
'Once we leave school we are spread across the town, country or globe. How many from Church Road School are living down under?'
If you know of other former pupils that have moved to another country, contact firstname.lastname@example.org