Dive into free swimming trials
Swimmers in Waveney could soon visit the pool for free if thousands of pounds of government sports grants are approved.The over 60s and under 16s have been offered free swimming trials in the district over the summer and the opportunity to swim for free could soon become permanent.
Swimmers in Waveney could soon visit the pool for free if thousands of pounds of government sports grants are approved.
The over 60s and under 16s have been offered free swimming trials in the district over the summer and the opportunity to swim for free could soon become permanent.
The department for culture, media and sport (DCMS) has offered millions of pounds to councils across the country, including £40m to support free swimming for the over 60s and under 16s and a further £10m to modernise pools and facilities.
Waveney District Council has been offered a grant of nearly £47,000 to spend on the over 60s scheme and has now applied for money to fund swimming for the under 16s.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Waveney said that the summer trials have proved successful. She said: “We are keen to continue this positive approach and confirmed with the DCMS last week that we would like to take part in the over 60s initiative.
“At this stage, we have only been asked to register an interest in the under 16s scheme, which we have done. We will find out if we have been successful at the end of September.”
- 1 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 2 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 3 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 4 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 5 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 6 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Care home tenant takes on walking challenge after cancer battle
- 9 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 10 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
Waveney MP Bob Blizzard said: “This is a really great initiative from the government and I'm so pleased Waveney has been offered almost £50,000 so they can make swimming free for pensioners.
“As someone who used to be very overweight, I know the importance of physical exercise and what a difference it makes to how fit and healthy you feel.”