Dog walkers warned of Suffolk coast’s ongoing palm oil and shellfish poisoning risk

Chris Poole's dog died after eating a crab on Felixstowe beach. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Chris Poole's dog died after eating a crab on Felixstowe beach. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Dog walkers visiting the Suffolk coast are being reminded to take extra care following further reports of palm oil washing up on the shore and the ongoing shellfish poisoning risk.

Suffolk Coastal and Waveney district councils issued the advice after receiving more calls about palm oil along the coastline.

Palm oil is not poisonous but can cause illness if ingested in large amounts.

The councils also urged pet owners to take precautions against paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) - a naturally occurring toxin, which has caused several pet deaths in the region.

A spokesman added: 'There is no risk to people or pets from the seawater - the only risk is from ingesting PSP-contaminated animals found on the beach.


You may also want to watch:


'Dog walkers are advised to take precautions to prevent their pets from eating anything found on the beach.

'This may include keeping dogs under close control, on leads or muzzled if considered appropriate, while walking along the coast.'

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter