“He wasn’t able to stand” - Woman’s scare after dogs eat cannabis during walk
- Credit: Archant
Two dogs were left unable to stand after unknowingly eating cannabis while out on a morning walk.
Bernadette Symonds, from Oulton Broad, was walking her dogs Finn and Percy at Lowestoft's North Denes cliffs on April 26, when Finn began inspecting a strange substance.
The intrigued cocker spaniel ate some of the substance, as did Percy, before Mrs Symonds waved them away and they continued on their walk.
It wasn't until Mrs Symonds returned home that she noticed something was wrong.
'When we get home from a morning walk I'll typically feed the dogs their breakfast,' she explained. 'Finn is usually running around the place and pulling up the cushions in excitement, but on this particular day his legs were very weak and he wasn't able to stand.
You may also want to watch:
'We really didn't like the look of what was happening, so we took him down to the vets straight away.'
Finn was taken to Veterinary Hospital and Surgery on Lowestoft High Street, where vets suspected he may have damaged his spine and recommended an x-ray in Newmarket.
- 1 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 2 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 3 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 4 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 9 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
- 10 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street
Mrs Symonds was all set for taking the advice, but arrived back at home to find Percy collapsed on the patio and exhibiting similar symptoms.
'Percy - who is a big Labrador - had initially seemed fine, but whatever they had eaten must have taken a bit longer to have an affect on him,' added Mrs Symonds. 'At that point I knew Finn couldn't possibly have a spinal injury.
'I went back to the vets and both dogs received blood tests to check for poisoning before being put on a drip overnight.'
Fortunately, Finn and Percy made a speedy recovery and were able to return home the following day. Blood samples were sent off for analysis and results revealed that the substance they ate was cannabis.
'The whole thing has made me a bit dubious about letting the dogs off their leads but, at the end of the day, they have to have their fun,' said Mrs Symonds.
'After all, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and it genuinely could have happened to anyone.'