Don't dictate to planners
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council. 1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council.
1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
When the ASDA proposal for development of the area was announced in your paper last month, and the Highways Agency choice of the third crossing between North Quay and Waveney Drive I was extemely hopeful.
Now we are back to square one again.
You may also want to watch:
I don't necessarily agree with the complete development of the site by ASDA when we were promised a themed village with cinema, boat Museum and riverside restaurants by the developer Jeff Jeffries some five years ago (including 3000 jobs!).
It will be just an enlargement of the ASDA outlet, when ASDA in your paper replied to my criticism of its withholding leases by vehemently denying any such thing.
- 1 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 4 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 5 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 6 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 7 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 8 Missing man found safe and well
- 9 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 10 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
Now, 1st East's Philip Watkins raises objections because it 'would prejudice the last phase of the development of the Bascule Bridge'.
He obviously still has his intentions of putting the third crossing next to the existing one, which no one wants (as proved by the public consultation and the Highways Agency!) Who on earth is in charge here!?
Waveney District Council is running round like a chicken with its head cut off waiting for someone else to make a decision.
They should not be dictated to by 1st East and at the same time the WDC planners must pay due consideration to the other retail outlets in the town and petrol outlets close by.