Don't dictate to planners
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council. 1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council.
1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
When the ASDA proposal for development of the area was announced in your paper last month, and the Highways Agency choice of the third crossing between North Quay and Waveney Drive I was extemely hopeful.
Now we are back to square one again.
You may also want to watch:
I don't necessarily agree with the complete development of the site by ASDA when we were promised a themed village with cinema, boat Museum and riverside restaurants by the developer Jeff Jeffries some five years ago (including 3000 jobs!).
It will be just an enlargement of the ASDA outlet, when ASDA in your paper replied to my criticism of its withholding leases by vehemently denying any such thing.
- 1 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 2 Scheme unveiled for former pub and butchers on town's High Street
- 3 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft
- 4 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 5 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 6 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 7 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 8 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 9 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 10 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
Now, 1st East's Philip Watkins raises objections because it 'would prejudice the last phase of the development of the Bascule Bridge'.
He obviously still has his intentions of putting the third crossing next to the existing one, which no one wants (as proved by the public consultation and the Highways Agency!) Who on earth is in charge here!?
Waveney District Council is running round like a chicken with its head cut off waiting for someone else to make a decision.
They should not be dictated to by 1st East and at the same time the WDC planners must pay due consideration to the other retail outlets in the town and petrol outlets close by.