Don't dictate to planners
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council. 1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
LAST year I wrote to your paper regarding the redevelopment of the South Quay at the same time raising it at Waveney District Council.
1st East through its WDC representative Wendy Mawer said at the time that the site was blighted because of the potential route of the third crossing.
When the ASDA proposal for development of the area was announced in your paper last month, and the Highways Agency choice of the third crossing between North Quay and Waveney Drive I was extemely hopeful.
Now we are back to square one again.
You may also want to watch:
I don't necessarily agree with the complete development of the site by ASDA when we were promised a themed village with cinema, boat Museum and riverside restaurants by the developer Jeff Jeffries some five years ago (including 3000 jobs!).
It will be just an enlargement of the ASDA outlet, when ASDA in your paper replied to my criticism of its withholding leases by vehemently denying any such thing.
- 1 Police arrest wanted 55-year-old man who was missing for 5 months
- 2 Nine arrests after baseball bats and knives used in brawl in village
- 3 Seven arrested and three charged with supplying cocaine after large police presence in village
- 4 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 5 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 6 Bridge to close with traffic set to be diverted
- 7 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 8 'Slowly drowning' - Publican's concerns over Tier 2 restrictions
- 9 Wanted man from Lowestoft arrested in London
- 10 Cannabis factory discovered after police called to burglary
Now, 1st East's Philip Watkins raises objections because it 'would prejudice the last phase of the development of the Bascule Bridge'.
He obviously still has his intentions of putting the third crossing next to the existing one, which no one wants (as proved by the public consultation and the Highways Agency!) Who on earth is in charge here!?
Waveney District Council is running round like a chicken with its head cut off waiting for someone else to make a decision.
They should not be dictated to by 1st East and at the same time the WDC planners must pay due consideration to the other retail outlets in the town and petrol outlets close by.