Doris, 106, marks special birthday
- Credit: Archant
'I have gotten through life staying young, and I still am!'
That was the reaction of a Lowestoft care home resident as she celebrated her 106th birthday in style.
Doris Bedford – the oldest resident at Harleston House, a specialist dementia care home in Lowestoft – marked the occasion recently with a fun filled day. She celebrated by having two parties in one day with her friends at the care home in Park Road.
She started her day with some pampering as she had her hair done by the home's hairdresser before putting on her best suit and greeting her audience. Residents, relatives and staff serenaded her and presented her with gifts and cards as Doris was crowned queen for the day.
With live entertainment, including singing and dancing, Doris spent some time with her family, before another party saw a Sea Shanty show held with the Lowestoft Longshoremen.
You may also want to watch:
Doris gave a heart-warming speech telling people that she has experienced a good life and has been loved and well looked after, and that has continued since moving in at Harleston House nine years ago.
She said: 'I have gotten through life staying young, and I still am.'
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
Gareth Harding, activities co-ordinator at the home, who arranged Doris' special day, said: 'Doris has got more energy than me and she is the head of our family at Harleston House.'
Another resident, Jenny Bales, added: 'She is marvellous for her age, what