Doris, 106, marks special birthday
- Credit: Archant
'I have gotten through life staying young, and I still am!'
That was the reaction of a Lowestoft care home resident as she celebrated her 106th birthday in style.
Doris Bedford – the oldest resident at Harleston House, a specialist dementia care home in Lowestoft – marked the occasion recently with a fun filled day. She celebrated by having two parties in one day with her friends at the care home in Park Road.
She started her day with some pampering as she had her hair done by the home's hairdresser before putting on her best suit and greeting her audience. Residents, relatives and staff serenaded her and presented her with gifts and cards as Doris was crowned queen for the day.
With live entertainment, including singing and dancing, Doris spent some time with her family, before another party saw a Sea Shanty show held with the Lowestoft Longshoremen.
You may also want to watch:
Doris gave a heart-warming speech telling people that she has experienced a good life and has been loved and well looked after, and that has continued since moving in at Harleston House nine years ago.
She said: 'I have gotten through life staying young, and I still am.'
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 8 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
Gareth Harding, activities co-ordinator at the home, who arranged Doris' special day, said: 'Doris has got more energy than me and she is the head of our family at Harleston House.'
Another resident, Jenny Bales, added: 'She is marvellous for her age, what