DreamworkX hailed a success
Church Notes by Andy Dorning, DreamworX project managerLAST week we focused on the beginnings of the DreamworX project - a church led project working with nine to 13 year olds in North Lowestoft.
By Andy Dorning, DreamworX project manager
LAST week we focused on the beginnings of the DreamworX project - a church led project working with nine to 13 year olds in North Lowestoft.
DreamworX seek to work with young people and not for them, bringing their ideas to light. This takes into account what they want and not what the adults want to see them do.
You may also want to watch:
For example, young people from Roman Hill wanted somewhere to go in the evenings to call their own, a safe environment where they could chill out. And a DreamworX drop-in was born using the local church, St Andrews, where young people who are out and about in the area on a Friday night can drop-in.
They talk to our staff team, stay and chill out to music in the lounge area and/or play pool and computer games with their friends. This helps DreamworX to build good relationships and a better understanding of the issues and concerns of the young people.
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 5 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 6 Charity walkers celebrate some unexpected news
- 7 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 8 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 9 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 10 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
DreamworX has also established a youth committee who meet once a month to keep the drop-in running as well as reporting back their peer's ideas.
These are some of the comments of the young people themselves.
'I think the drop-in is great. Something to do on Fridays.'
'I think the drop-in's a good way to keep young teenagers out of trouble and away from any nasty people. I think it is great.' And from the CPO 'Great place to meet. Warmer than the street.'
On the May 15, from 7.15 to 8.15pm the members of the drop-in will be holding an open night at St Andrew's, to celebrate the achievements of DreamworX first year. Why not come and find out more.
DreamworX: To encourage others to capture their God-given potential in order to help them live a life full of abundance