Father and daughter’s illness motivates firm to organise charity walk
A popular firm will lead a charity walk and beach clean after a difficult period in which two staff members from the same family were affected by cancer.
Taking place tomorrow from 10am (Saturday, February 17), Drives 4 U Ltd are inviting the public to participate in a walk from The Jolly Sailors pub in Pakefield to the Kessingland sluice and back. The walk is around seven miles long and is expected to take about three hours.
The firm decided to raise money for Myeloma UK and The Big C after two members of the same family - both of whom have worked for Drives 4 U - were hit by cancer.
Michael Smithson was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, meaning he has had to undergo radiotherapy, chemotherapy and an operation which saw his left hip rebuilt after the cancer affected the bone.
His daughter, Chloe Smithson, is currently undergoing chemotherapy having been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the firm said: 'We would encourage anybody to join the walk, even if it is just for a bit of exercise.
'We appreciate that there are so many people suffering from various forms of cancer and, with a sponsored walk, we can have a bit of fun, exercise, and raise money for deserving charities.
- 1 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 2 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 3 Friends and family raise £15,000 for father with rare cancer
- 4 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 5 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 6 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 9 'Fantastic' - excitement from businesses ahead of May 17 changes
- 10 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
There will be a number of collection tins at The Jolly Sailors in order for participants to donate to the charities.