Duo complete running challenge to raise money for vital research across Waveney
- Credit: Archant
A father and son have risen to one of UK's biggest sporting challenges to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
Paul Collins, 44, of Marsh Lane, North Cove and his son Stanley, 17, took part in this year's Morrisons Great North Run on Sunday, September 13.
The duo conquered the 13.1-mile route from Newcastle to South Shields as a tribute to Paul's mother Liz Collins, who was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer of the lung and brain in December 2013.
Mrs Collins, 73, who lives in Lowestoft, received treatment from Great Yarmouth's James Paget Hospital oncology department and benefited from new drugs, which were developed from years of research.
Mr Collins, a father-of-three who owns the Lowestoft Shellfish Co Ltd business, said: 'The whole experience has been really positive. We both feel we are giving something back. We are making mum/grandma proud.'
Despite the hot conditions in Newcastle, the pair achieved impressive times.
Stanley came 144th overall with a time of just over one hour and 20 minutes, and first in the under-20 age group category.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Community rally together after fire rips through family home
- 3 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 4 One person treated at scene of house fire in Lowestoft
- 5 Lowestoft jeweller gets TV spot in Kirstie Allsopp's Handmade Christmas
- 6 Pressure group anger over speeding drivers on busy bypass
- 7 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 8 Fallen tree blocks train lines near Lowestoft
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 Investigations ongoing after stolen moped involved in crash
Paul finished in one hour and 50 minutes.
The father and son duo have surpassed their target by raising £1,500 but are still hoping to raise more funds for this worthy cause.
? To donate, visit their Justgiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Collins33/