Duo complete running challenge to raise money for vital research across Waveney
- Credit: Archant
A father and son have risen to one of UK's biggest sporting challenges to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
Paul Collins, 44, of Marsh Lane, North Cove and his son Stanley, 17, took part in this year's Morrisons Great North Run on Sunday, September 13.
The duo conquered the 13.1-mile route from Newcastle to South Shields as a tribute to Paul's mother Liz Collins, who was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer of the lung and brain in December 2013.
Mrs Collins, 73, who lives in Lowestoft, received treatment from Great Yarmouth's James Paget Hospital oncology department and benefited from new drugs, which were developed from years of research.
Mr Collins, a father-of-three who owns the Lowestoft Shellfish Co Ltd business, said: 'The whole experience has been really positive. We both feel we are giving something back. We are making mum/grandma proud.'
You may also want to watch:
Despite the hot conditions in Newcastle, the pair achieved impressive times.
Stanley came 144th overall with a time of just over one hour and 20 minutes, and first in the under-20 age group category.
- 1 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 2 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 3 Man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- 4 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 5 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 6 Extraordinary meeting called over village solar farm
- 7 Fire crew called after child gets stuck in room with faulty latch
- 8 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 9 Revealed: Where petrol prices are cheapest in Suffolk
- 10 Hotspot tourists targeted by virus ads safety message
Paul finished in one hour and 50 minutes.
The father and son duo have surpassed their target by raising £1,500 but are still hoping to raise more funds for this worthy cause.
? To donate, visit their Justgiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Collins33/