Duo complete running challenge to raise money for vital research across Waveney
- Credit: Archant
A father and son have risen to one of UK's biggest sporting challenges to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
Paul Collins, 44, of Marsh Lane, North Cove and his son Stanley, 17, took part in this year's Morrisons Great North Run on Sunday, September 13.
The duo conquered the 13.1-mile route from Newcastle to South Shields as a tribute to Paul's mother Liz Collins, who was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer of the lung and brain in December 2013.
Mrs Collins, 73, who lives in Lowestoft, received treatment from Great Yarmouth's James Paget Hospital oncology department and benefited from new drugs, which were developed from years of research.
Mr Collins, a father-of-three who owns the Lowestoft Shellfish Co Ltd business, said: 'The whole experience has been really positive. We both feel we are giving something back. We are making mum/grandma proud.'
You may also want to watch:
Despite the hot conditions in Newcastle, the pair achieved impressive times.
Stanley came 144th overall with a time of just over one hour and 20 minutes, and first in the under-20 age group category.
- 1 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 2 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 5 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 6 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 7 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 8 'Absolutely amazing' - Visually impaired teen completes walking challenge
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
Paul finished in one hour and 50 minutes.
The father and son duo have surpassed their target by raising £1,500 but are still hoping to raise more funds for this worthy cause.
? To donate, visit their Justgiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Collins33/