East Anglian gunner killed in Afghanistan
Ben KendallAn East Anglian gunner was this morning killed in a blast in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.The airman, who has not yet been named, was serving with 2 Squadron RAF Regiment, based at RAF Honington near Thetford and currently deployed to Kandahar Airfield.Ben Kendall
An East Anglian gunner was yesterday killed in a blast in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
The airman, who has not yet been named, was serving with 2 Squadron RAF Regiment, based at RAF Honington near Thetford and currently deployed to Kandahar Airfield.
He was part of a vehicle patrol operating north of the airfield. He died from wounds suffered in an explosion yesterday afternoon.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lt Col David Wakefield, said yesterday: "It is my sad duty to inform you that an airman from 2 Squadron, Royal Air Force Regiment, part of the Kandahar Airfield Defence Regiment, was killed this evening as a result of an explosion.
You may also want to watch:
'He was on a mobile patrol in an area about four kilometres north of Kandahar Airfield when the explosion happened. He died doing his duty and among his fellow airmen; his sacrifice will not be forgotten."
Next of kin have been informed.
- 1 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft
- 2 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 3 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 4 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 5 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 6 Scheme unveiled for former pub and butchers on town's High Street
- 7 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 8 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 9 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 10 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft