Councillor admits “embarrassing oversight” as he fails to pay council tax on time
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
A councillor who failed to settle his council tax on time has labelled the incident an 'embarrassing oversight'.
Edward Back, who represents the Oulton ward for Waveney District Council (WDC), missed two reminders and received a court summons after he failed to pay £444.08 in the 2016-17 tax year.
Mr Back explained he had let things get on top of him since his wife Susan died at the end of 2013.
The tax was for a property he owned but had previously rented out.
Mr Back said: 'It wasn't intentional on my part not to pay it. Sometimes one over looks things and unfortunately I did - as soon as I realised I settled it.'
You may also want to watch:
WDC said the late payment was a 'private matter for Mr Back and in no way impacts on his role as a councillor in Waveney'.
A spokesman said: 'We are aware that this was an oversight on his part, that it has been resolved and that no further action will be taken.'
- 1 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 2 Man who assaulted young girl has sex offences prevention order lifted
- 3 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 4 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 5 Empty town centre store sells ahead of auction
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Plea to identify woman after staffie attacks three dogs in Kessingland
- 8 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
- 9 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
- 10 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species