Councillor admits “embarrassing oversight” as he fails to pay council tax on time
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
A councillor who failed to settle his council tax on time has labelled the incident an 'embarrassing oversight'.
Edward Back, who represents the Oulton ward for Waveney District Council (WDC), missed two reminders and received a court summons after he failed to pay £444.08 in the 2016-17 tax year.
Mr Back explained he had let things get on top of him since his wife Susan died at the end of 2013.
The tax was for a property he owned but had previously rented out.
Mr Back said: 'It wasn't intentional on my part not to pay it. Sometimes one over looks things and unfortunately I did - as soon as I realised I settled it.'
You may also want to watch:
WDC said the late payment was a 'private matter for Mr Back and in no way impacts on his role as a councillor in Waveney'.
A spokesman said: 'We are aware that this was an oversight on his part, that it has been resolved and that no further action will be taken.'
- 1 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 2 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 3 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 4 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man
- 5 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 6 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 7 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 8 Teenager arrested following alleged assault in Lowestoft
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency in Southwold
- 10 Ambassador School status joy for 'fantastic' primary