Exhibition to promote club and showcase works is hailed a ‘success’
- Credit: Archant
It is one of the oldest arts.
And a special exhibition to showcase a popular hobby, and promote the Waveney and District Woodturners Club, has been hailed a success.
Having been established for more than 30 years, a club exhibition was held at Lowestoft Library last week.
With a wide selection of members' work on show during the exhibition on September 15-16, a club spokesman said: 'Over the two days we handed out over 60 leaflets, talked to many more visitors, explaining what the club did and our aims and aspirations.
'Hopefully this will result in recruiting new members and making the club stronger for the future especially as several visitors have committed to coming along to our club meetings and all-day demonstrations.'
You may also want to watch:
The display included 'as many variations as space would allow, all sourced from club members,' according to the event organisers.
'This expansive array was well received by visitors from as far away as Australia - who recognised a Coolibah Burr,' the club spokesman added.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
'We were congratulated on our innovation, design and finish. This resulted in several pieces being sold, which although welcome, was not our prime objective.'
With the well-established offering first class facilities and monthly demonstrations, a training programme is also in place.
The spokesman added: 'On September 30 we have a full day demonstration by Gary Rance – probably one of the finest turners on the international circuit.
'Our thanks to the Lowestoft Journal and Beccles and Bungay Journal, as their earlier article encouraged a considerable number of potential new members to attend.
'The library welcomed us, affording us space and facilities without which the promotion would not have been the success it was. The committee were in attendance over the two days and we all enjoyed our visit including those members who called in to add their support.'
For more details about the club, and further information on the Waveney and District Woodturners Club 2017/18 programme, visit www.waveneywoodturners.co.uk or alternatively you can call the events secretary, David Ritchie, on 01502 565865.