Fantastic wildlife photo wins The Journal’s weekly photographic competition
- Credit: Richard Tomsett
This remarkable photograph of a barn owl was taken by 49-year-old Richard Tomsett, of Oulton Broad.
He captured the image on his Canon camera while walking in Carlton Marshes on March 18.
'I've been out every weekend recently trying to get owl photos - without success. The week before I got the shot I was talking to another photographer I met at Carlton Marshes who tipped me off as to where a barn owl was hunting every morning,' said Mr Tomsett.
He added: 'Using this information I got up before daylight and got to the marsh 'I staked out the location before sunrise and waited. After about 40 minutes of daylight the owl appeared.
'Hidden by a reed bed the owl wasn't aware I was there and flew straight towards me giving me a few seconds to get my shots!
You may also want to watch:
'I'm really pleased to win Picture of the Week because this shot was a week in the planning. I'd thought about it over the week and where the best place to hide would be. It's very rewarding when you get the photo you had hoped and planned for!'
As our winner, Richard receives a 12in x 10in framed version of his photo from Picture Studios, of London Road North, Lowestoft. Entries can be of any subject but they must be digital images. Email your pictures to email@example.com
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 6 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 7 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 8 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 9 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
- 10 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub