Fears for front-line policing in Suffolk
Emily DennisSuffolk police are preparing for a possible �20m cut in their budget over the next four years and are hoping that the Home Office does not force changes which would impact on front-line policing in the county.Emily Dennis
Suffolk police are preparing for a possible �20m cut in their budget over the next four years and are hoping that the Home Office does not force changes which would impact on frontline policing in the county.
As public services face a spending squeeze, the police authority, which met yesterday, was presented with three possible scenarios.
Even the best case envisages a �3.164m reduction in money. The authority is working on the assumption that it will have to find �9m in cuts, but officers will also prepare for a �20.315m cut which would be the result of an increase to 5pc in inflation, 2pc pay awards, a 1pc cut in government grants, and a zero rise in the council tax precept.
Philip Clayton, the authority's assistant chief officer, said that it would be near impossible for the county to be effectively policed if massive cuts were imposed. "There would be no quality of policing and no resilience."
You may also want to watch:
The police authority is in the same situation as councils in not knowing what level of financial support will be received from the government in 2010-11. Authority member Colin Spence said: "We are walking a black tunnel blindfolded.
"However, we owe it to the public to prepare for the worst to happen. We have to say we are going to have staff cuts and that it will be difficult to achieve the delivery of services."
- 1 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 7 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree