Fire in grounds of north Suffolk school
Hayley MaceFirefighters were called to the grounds of a north Suffolk school for the second time this morning to put out a blaze which tore through gorse near the school building.Hayley Mace
Firefighters were called to the grounds of a north Suffolk school for the second time this morning to put out a blaze which tore through gorse near the school building.
Fire crews spent two hours on Thursday morning putting out flames in an area of gorse at St Felix School, on Halesworth Road in Reydon.
The blaze followed a similar fire on Wednesday afternoon which caused the school to be evacuated just after lunchtime and which took nearly three hours to be put out. The fire involved an area of about 22m by 100m.
The fire on Thursday started at about 7am and was under control by 9am.
Headteacher David Ward said that the children were 'superb' when they had to evacuate the building on Wednesday. 'It was at the back of the school near the sports hall and the fire came within 15ft of the building. We were lucky the wind changed when it did - without that the flames would have affected the building,' he said.
He added: 'We don't know for sure what started the fire, but we think it was a can or bottle in the sunlight that set it off, and up it went. We had a lucky escape, the fire brigade, the children and staff all reacted really well.'
- 1 BBC film crew spotted filming in Lowestoft
- 2 'Ethan touched the lives of everyone': Family's emotional tribute to teen
- 3 Lowestoft man jailed after breaching restraining order within an hour
- 4 Police hunt for teenager with knife who threatened man in town centre
- 5 'Like an earthquake' - Life by Lowestoft's Gull Wing construction site
- 6 Go-ahead for new shops and flats at site of former family-run business
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of GBH
- 8 Major infrastructure projects 'putting pressure' on Suffolk
- 9 Arsonist to be sentenced after admitting starting blaze at block of flats
- 10 Enquiries ongoing after man sexually assaulted on Lowestoft beach