Fire in grounds of north Suffolk school
Hayley MaceFirefighters were called to the grounds of a north Suffolk school for the second time this morning to put out a blaze which tore through gorse near the school building.Hayley Mace
Firefighters were called to the grounds of a north Suffolk school for the second time this morning to put out a blaze which tore through gorse near the school building.
Fire crews spent two hours on Thursday morning putting out flames in an area of gorse at St Felix School, on Halesworth Road in Reydon.
The blaze followed a similar fire on Wednesday afternoon which caused the school to be evacuated just after lunchtime and which took nearly three hours to be put out. The fire involved an area of about 22m by 100m.
The fire on Thursday started at about 7am and was under control by 9am.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher David Ward said that the children were 'superb' when they had to evacuate the building on Wednesday. 'It was at the back of the school near the sports hall and the fire came within 15ft of the building. We were lucky the wind changed when it did - without that the flames would have affected the building,' he said.
He added: 'We don't know for sure what started the fire, but we think it was a can or bottle in the sunlight that set it off, and up it went. We had a lucky escape, the fire brigade, the children and staff all reacted really well.'
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 4 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 7 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 8 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted