Fire service's warning in hot weather
AFTER another busy weekend Suffolk firefighters issued a warning to residents to take extra care in the hot weather.Firefighters were called to heathland blazes in the Lowestoft area - at the Denes in Corton Road and at Links Road Gunton.
AFTER another busy weekend Suffolk firefighters issued a warning to residents to take extra care in the hot weather.
Firefighters were called to heathland blazes in the Lowestoft area - at the Denes in Corton Road and at Links Road Gunton.
And firefighters were also called to a garden fire which spread to a fence in Broadland Way, just off Foxhall Road on the edge of Ipswich.
Paul Collins, from Suffolk Fire Service, said people needed to be very careful in the dry spell - and arsonists were putting themselves as well as other people at risk.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'We are doing all we can to prevent these kind of incidents but people do need to be careful.
'In the Kesgrave and Martlesham area we are aware there have been a number of grass fires and we think they have been caused by youngsters.
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 3 Latitude Festival 2021: Supergrass kicks off sunny second day
- 4 Suffolk-built boats relive glory days on Oulton Broad
- 5 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 6 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 7 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 10 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
'Fire and police officers have been trying to make their presence felt and to get the message across about how dangerous this can be.
'If you start a fire in these conditions, the wind can easily whip it round and catch you - you put yourself and firefighters at risk.'
Many of the fires had started accidentally - and Mr Collins urged people to be very careful.
'In an ideal world we would say don't have fires in your garden or barbecues in this weather. Certainly bonfires should not be lit in this weather - but people do enjoy barbecues but they have to be treated with great care.'
He urged anyone having a barbecue to ensure they had a bucket of water at hand in case a spark flew off.
'With a few simple precautions you can prevent these kind of dramas,' he said.