Fishing industry reunion is set to celebrate town’s rich heritage in Lowestoft
FISHING REUNION: In its prime, the fishing industry at Lowestoft docks was a thriving hub of trawlers that employed many people in a range of roles in the town.
And now, in an attempt to bring back old memories and reminisce about times gone by, a Lowestoft Fishing Industries Reunion has been organised and anyone from skippers, merchants and labourers are being encouraged to attend.
The all ticket event has been put together by John Beckett, Keith Newberry and Maurice Read, and anyone associated with the industry is urged to be a part of the event; which will take place at the Oulton Broad and Beccles Riding Club field at Camps Heath on Saturday, June 27 between 8pm and 1am.
Visitors can experience a free hog roast, live music and a licensed bar- along with some great company.
Mr Newberry, who still works as a fish merchant to this day, said that a lot of tickets had already been sold and all of the proceeds will be going to a local charity.
You may also want to watch:
'So far we have had a good response from old skippers, fish workers, merchants, labourers, lumpers and crew and a lot of people to do with the fishing industry.
'There will be a lot of people coming from the past in their sixties and seventies who worked down there. It was a massive industry in its day, employing a lot of people and there were loads depending on it.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 3 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 4 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 5 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 6 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 7 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
- 8 Tree planted in memory of town councillor who 'worked tirelessly'
- 9 Millions of bank customers hit by cashpoint and app glitch
- 10 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
'We will have a big marquee and a licensed bar; all to help a charity.'
John Beckett, who owns Hollingsworth Road Fish and Chip Shop, added: 'We wanted to organise a get together as a lot of people involved in the fishing industry are still here.
'If it goes well perhaps we can do it again.'
Tickets cost £5 and are available from Hollingsworth Road Fish and Chip Shop, BFP fish supplies and K&S Fish Supplies LTD.
Alternatively contact Mr Beckett on 01502 515456 or Mr Read on 01502 569831.