Football academy allows young players to learn about the Christian faith in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A new weekly football academy is allowing young people to improve their skills and also learn about the Christian faith in Lowestoft.
Message On The Ball has been launched by the team at London Road Baptist Church – with the aim of encouraging players in school years 7 to 11 to develop their game – as well as understanding Christian and sporting values.
The academy was the idea of head coach Ashley Langner and youth minister the Rev Emily Twigg – and a large number of participants have already signed up to the weekly sessions – held on a Thursday evening between 7.30pm and 8.30pm at Kirkley and Pakefield Football Club.
Where the academy differs from others in the area is that the young people do not participate in competitive matches at the weekend.
'I had a vision, coming to this church about a year ago, that I wanted to start a football academy,' said Mr Langner – who previously coached at Beccles FC for five years.
You may also want to watch:
'There is a need in the local area to coach football without the worry of a Saturday or Sunday competitive game – which some young people would not want to engage in.'
The sessions, which will be running all year round, cost £1 each week.
- 1 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 4 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 5 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 6 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 7 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 8 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 9 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 10 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man
The Rev Twigg added: 'A lot of the children aren't of a Christian background and the way the Christian message is put across is through the context of sport.'
For more information, or to book, contact Emily on 01502 514091 or email@example.com