Footballer barred from 68 pubs
Teenage Norwich City striker Chris Martin has been banned from nearly every pub in Waveney after complaints about his behaviour.The 19-year-old is not allowed to enter any of the 68 pubs in Beccles, Bungay, Halesworth and Southwold after being barred from one in his home town of Beccles.
Teenage Norwich City striker Chris Martin has been banned from nearly every pub in Waveney after complaints about his behaviour.
The 19-year-old is not allowed to enter any of the 68 pubs in Beccles, Bungay, Halesworth and Southwold after being barred from one in his home town of Beccles. It is understood that the ban relates to a fight outside the White Horse pub in New Market, Beccles, earlier this year, although the footballer may not have been directly involved.
Under the town's Nightsafe pub watch scheme, being banned from one means being banned from all those who are members of the scheme. A ban is in place for 12 months and leads to a picture and description of the person being circulated around the pubs.
Paul Burch, from the White Horse, said: “He used to drink in here and now he is on Pub Watch.”
You may also want to watch:
He said that the incident in question “allegedly” happened outside the pub.
Norwich City said it was investigating the matter and would not comment until this had happened.
- 1 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 2 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 3 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 6 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 9 Care home tenant takes on walking challenge after cancer battle
- 10 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
Suffolk police were unable to comment but said that Mr Martin had not been arrested.
The 5ft 10in striker became a fans' favourite towards the end of the 2006/07 season, scoring five goals in 20 games. He also scored on his debut for the England under-19s, when he came on as a late substitute in a 1-0 victory against Turkey in March 2007.
However he has found it much harder this season and has only started three league games - two since Glenn Roeder took over as Norwich manager - and has not scored. In March Mr Roeder said that Mr Martin and fellow former youth team player Michael Spillane had “had it too easy.”
“They have been told too many good things about themselves and it's done them no good at all.They need to be a bit more hungry.”
A month ago 21-year-old City star Matty Pattison was banned from driving for 20 months after admitting driving while twice over the legal limit. The court heard how the midfielder had been drinking at Mercy Nightclub until 4.30am, and was arrested when he drove his Jeep Cherokee to the training ground four hours later.