Former Norwich City stars line-up for charity match
- Credit: Picture: Nick Butcher
Former Norwich City stars are set to wear the famous yellow and green again as part of a charity fundraiser.
Iwan Roberts, Rob Newman, Mike Milligan, Adrian Forbes and Daryl Sutch are among the former Canaries who have agreed to take to the turf once more in a charity match.
Darren Young, of Langley, near Loddon, is organising a game at Lowestoft Town FC and is pitching a team of former City stars against a select side, with local teenagers and charity donors given the chance to play alongside them.
It is all in an effort to raise as much money as possible for the Willow Foundation, which provides special treat days to seriously ill 16 to 40 year olds.
Mr Young, 43, said: 'It is for the Willow Foundation because I had a friend who died from cancer nearly two years ago and they did something for her. She was riddled with cancer and died 32 years old, leaving two kids behind.
You may also want to watch:
'But she was someone who was so upbeat and the Willow Foundation got her in a five star hotel with champagne and strawberries for her last couple of days.'
Mr Young, a married father-of-one, has been involved a variety of charity events since 2001 and decided to try to use his connections as well as social media to get past players involved in a match.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital following collision
- 2 Drivers face diversions as bridge set for overnight closures
- 3 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 4 Boat trip firm hopes to move launches to Heritage Quay
- 5 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 6 Lowestoft primary school's long-serving midday supervisor hailed after retirement
- 7 Locked mountain bikes stolen from cycle rack outside supermarket
- 8 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Gorleston is released on bail
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Among those to sign up is Daryl Sutch, who made 352 appearances for Norwich.
Mr Sutch, 41, said: 'I have known Darren a good few years and finished playing non-league with Wroxham, when Darren was the goalkeeper.
'Obviously I'm keen to do what I can for charity, and when this opportunity came forward and I was happy to play.'
The other team will be made up from a select side, including non-league players Russell Stock, Darren Cockrill and Roscoe Hipperson.
Mr Young, who runs 1st Aid Fire, also works as a public services lecturer at Great Yarmouth College and students at the college, as well as those at Lowestoft College, will be taking part in trials to take part in the game.
Ball boys will be provided through a competition in Bradwell.
There will also be an opportunity for budding players to bid for a chance to play 45 minutes.
The match takes place at Lowestoft Town's Crown Meadow ground on Sunday, April 14 at 3pm.
For more details and to donate or bid for a place in the team visit www.eventsforcharity.co.uk