'Fresh choice' for Suffolk Coastal
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.'
Mr Gummer, who has been a Suffolk MP for 30 years, announced this week that he is leaving Westminster politics to concentrate his efforts on brokering a global climate change deal in the wake of the collapse of the Copenhagen talks earlier this month.
Mr Leeder said: 'I wish John Gummer well with his desire to focus his efforts to help tackle climate change - which poses the gravest danger of the 21st century.
'Suffolk Coastal now has an opportunity for a fresh choice at the next General Election and I relish the opportunity of fighting a new opponent.'
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Coastal Tories will begin the search for a new candidate next week to defend Mr Gummer's 9,685 vote majority. For Mr Leeder to win, it would take a swing from the Conservatives to Labour of 9.22pc.
The constituency includes Felixstowe, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Saxmundham, Aldeburgh, Halesworth and Southwold.
- 1 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 2 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 3 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 4 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 5 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 6 Charity hero calls for more defibrillators after Eriksen collapse
- 7 North Suffolk road to close with traffic diverted for gully repairs
- 8 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 9 Amazing! Photo sequence shows how marsh harrier grabbed a rabbit
- 10 Development of iconic Gull Wing bridge to be documented by local company