'Fresh choice' for Suffolk Coastal
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.'
Mr Gummer, who has been a Suffolk MP for 30 years, announced this week that he is leaving Westminster politics to concentrate his efforts on brokering a global climate change deal in the wake of the collapse of the Copenhagen talks earlier this month.
Mr Leeder said: 'I wish John Gummer well with his desire to focus his efforts to help tackle climate change - which poses the gravest danger of the 21st century.
'Suffolk Coastal now has an opportunity for a fresh choice at the next General Election and I relish the opportunity of fighting a new opponent.'
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Coastal Tories will begin the search for a new candidate next week to defend Mr Gummer's 9,685 vote majority. For Mr Leeder to win, it would take a swing from the Conservatives to Labour of 9.22pc.
The constituency includes Felixstowe, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Saxmundham, Aldeburgh, Halesworth and Southwold.
- 1 What is the future for Lowestoft's historic high street?
- 2 Lockdown inspires key worker to lose six stone in weight
- 3 Delays expected for bridge works
- 4 Town 'at the heart' of green energy bid after windfarm success
- 5 Dad 'relieved' after stolen car found through power of social media
- 6 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 7 Cultural hub could transform 'key town centre site' in £35m project
- 8 Hospital order for man who attacked mother with metal bar
- 9 Inspiring girl helping tackle children's anxiety in reading videos
- 10 Border Force alerted after lifeboat recovers abandoned dinghy