'Fresh choice' for Suffolk Coastal
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.
LABOUR'S candidate for Suffolk Coastal Adam Leeder believes that John Gummer's decision to quit as MP at the next election gives the constituency the opportunity to make a 'fresh choice.'
Mr Gummer, who has been a Suffolk MP for 30 years, announced this week that he is leaving Westminster politics to concentrate his efforts on brokering a global climate change deal in the wake of the collapse of the Copenhagen talks earlier this month.
Mr Leeder said: 'I wish John Gummer well with his desire to focus his efforts to help tackle climate change - which poses the gravest danger of the 21st century.
'Suffolk Coastal now has an opportunity for a fresh choice at the next General Election and I relish the opportunity of fighting a new opponent.'
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Coastal Tories will begin the search for a new candidate next week to defend Mr Gummer's 9,685 vote majority. For Mr Leeder to win, it would take a swing from the Conservatives to Labour of 9.22pc.
The constituency includes Felixstowe, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Saxmundham, Aldeburgh, Halesworth and Southwold.
- 1 New shops could be unveiled at prominent former family-run business
- 2 New lease of life with go-ahead for apartments above former McDonalds
- 3 Man jailed after police seize cannabis worth £15,000 from car
- 4 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 5 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 6 Jewellery stolen after burglars raid home in Lowestoft
- 7 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 8 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 9 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft
- 10 Further overnight works scheduled for A47 with north Lowestoft closure