Fritton Woods petition handed in
A PETITION fighting proposals for a quarry at Fritton Woods has been handed in by campaigners and Great Yarmouth's MP Brandon Lewis.
Mr Lewis and a group opposing the plans met Daniel Cox, leader of Norfolk County Council, yesterday (Tuesday) to formally present the council with the petition.
The campaign has been led by local resident Jan Burton and gathered over 20,000 signatures in total. A formal decision on the issue is expected early next year.
The area of woodland which is home to a vast array of wildlife and tree species is a popular site with Great Yarmouth residents.
Brandon Lewis said: 'It was great to see so many enthusiastic residents at County Hall today.
'I must congratulate all involved on running such a strong and passionate campaign- fingers crossed the right decision is made and we can preserve the fantastic site we have at Fritton'
- 1 BBC film crew spotted filming in Lowestoft
- 2 'Ethan touched the lives of everyone': Family's emotional tribute to teen
- 3 Lowestoft man jailed after breaching restraining order within an hour
- 4 Police hunt for teenager with knife who threatened man in town centre
- 5 'Like an earthquake' - Life by Lowestoft's Gull Wing construction site
- 6 Go-ahead for new shops and flats at site of former family-run business
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of GBH
- 8 Major infrastructure projects 'putting pressure' on Suffolk
- 9 Arsonist to be sentenced after admitting starting blaze at block of flats
- 10 Enquiries ongoing after man sexually assaulted on Lowestoft beach