Fritton Woods petition handed in
A PETITION fighting proposals for a quarry at Fritton Woods has been handed in by campaigners and Great Yarmouth's MP Brandon Lewis.
Mr Lewis and a group opposing the plans met Daniel Cox, leader of Norfolk County Council, yesterday (Tuesday) to formally present the council with the petition.
The campaign has been led by local resident Jan Burton and gathered over 20,000 signatures in total. A formal decision on the issue is expected early next year.
The area of woodland which is home to a vast array of wildlife and tree species is a popular site with Great Yarmouth residents.
Brandon Lewis said: 'It was great to see so many enthusiastic residents at County Hall today.
You may also want to watch:
'I must congratulate all involved on running such a strong and passionate campaign- fingers crossed the right decision is made and we can preserve the fantastic site we have at Fritton'
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 6 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 7 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days