Fundraising events boost sight loss charity
- Credit: Archant
An opticians in Lowestoft hosted a series of fundraising events to boost a sight loss charity.
Staff at the Specsavers Lowestoft store on London Road North took part in a sponsored 5k cycle ride, and held a dotty day, children's colouring competition with cinema tickets and book tokens as prizes and a mega raffle, as they raised £552 within a week for sight loss charity the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
Fundraising events were held during National Eye Health Week as part of an effort to raise awareness of the importance of eye health and the need for regular sight tests.
The fundraising drive coincided with the launch of a new report by Specsavers and the RNIB, which revealed that one in five people will live with sight loss in their lifetime despite at least half of all cases being avoidable.
Store director at Specsavers Lowestoft, David Holcombe, said: 'Our report showed that 78 per cent of people said sight was the sense they fear losing most compared to the next most popular sense, smell (8 per cent), followed by hearing (7 per cent).
You may also want to watch:
'We're hoping our events in store along with the generous donations of our customers and other locals will help to fight avoidable sight loss. Thank you to all of those who donated and helped us to support the cause.'
To find out more or book a sight test, visit Specsavers Lowestoft, 101 London Road North, Lowestoft, call 01502 580500 or book online at www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/lowestoft
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home