Cortège to honour company founder at funeral service
- Credit: Courtesy of the Harrod family
A poignant procession is set to make its way through south Lowestoft to remember the well-respected founder of an internationally recognised company.
People are expected to pay their respects as a funeral cortege honours Ron Harrod.
Keen Rotarian and founder of Harrod UK, Mr Harrod, 89, died on December 29.
A cavalcade of Harrod UK vehicles has been arranged to precede the hearse before a private family funeral service on February 5.
A Harrod UK spokesman said: "The cortège will be flanked front and back by a Harrod lorry and Harrod vans.
"It will start outside the warehouse on Cooke Road, next to Smith Timber, at 12.45pm on February 5, and will then drive down Cooke Road before turning left into Pinbush Road where it will drive past the Harrod factory and offices.
"The cortège will then drive to Our Lady Star of the Sea on Gordon Road, Lowestoft for the private ceremony."
Mr Harrod and his wife Margaret started Harrod of Lowestoft in 1954, which is now more commonly known as Harrod UK, Harrod Sport and Harrod Horticultural.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 3 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 6 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 7 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 8 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 9 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park
- 10 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk