Cortège to honour company founder at funeral service
- Credit: Courtesy of the Harrod family
A poignant procession is set to make its way through south Lowestoft to remember the well-respected founder of an internationally recognised company.
People are expected to pay their respects as a funeral cortege honours Ron Harrod.
Keen Rotarian and founder of Harrod UK, Mr Harrod, 89, died on December 29.
A cavalcade of Harrod UK vehicles has been arranged to precede the hearse before a private family funeral service on February 5.
A Harrod UK spokesman said: "The cortège will be flanked front and back by a Harrod lorry and Harrod vans.
"It will start outside the warehouse on Cooke Road, next to Smith Timber, at 12.45pm on February 5, and will then drive down Cooke Road before turning left into Pinbush Road where it will drive past the Harrod factory and offices.
"The cortège will then drive to Our Lady Star of the Sea on Gordon Road, Lowestoft for the private ceremony."
Mr Harrod and his wife Margaret started Harrod of Lowestoft in 1954, which is now more commonly known as Harrod UK, Harrod Sport and Harrod Horticultural.
- 1 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 2 Woman scared to leave her house after being closely followed by man
- 3 'Welcome back!' - Glasses raised as popular pub reopens
- 4 Woman punched on the ground after walking crutch was kicked away
- 5 'Innovative' new street light sparks interest on the coast
- 6 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 7 'We can't wait' - Boutique owners prepare for April 12 re-opening
- 8 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 9 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 10 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says