Grandmother burgled while asleep
Christine CunninghamA grandmother was shocked to wake up to find her Great Yarmouth home had been burgled while she and her grandson were asleep a court heard yesterday.Christine Cunningham
A grandmother was shocked to wake up to find her Great Yarmouth home had been burgled while she and her grandson were asleep a court heard yesterday.
She found a window in her conservatory was broken and items moved about the home. Norwich Crown Court heard the victim was so distressed she had to go round to her neighbours and police were then called to the scene. It was found that high value electrical items had been taken including a laptop, Xbox games, a microwave, mobile phone and DVD player.
Blood left at the break in was found to belong to Lithuanian Pavel Butkiewicz who through immigration was traced to Wales. Butkiewicz, 21 of no fixed address admitted the burglary on June 25 this year.
Jailing him for 15 months Judge Paul Downes told him 'this was an overnight burglary when people were in the home' he added that it was clear the break in had caused particular distress to the victim.
Andrew Oliver for Butkiewicz said he had come up to Norfolk on the promise of work but this had not materialised 'this left him with no money, he committed this offence to provide him with food and money. It was not planned.'
Mr Oliver said he was an unsophisticated offence as he had left blood at the scene. He said Butkiewicz had now moved to Wales where he would have work and accommodation on his release.
- 1 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
- 2 Lowestoft man died after paramedics mistakenly told he had taken heroin
- 3 'You're not Steve McQueen' - Vehicles reported for anti-social driving
- 4 Firefighters battle blaze in Lowestoft cliff face
- 5 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 6 ‘Accessible to everyone:' Special party highlights new beach huts
- 7 Shock as knife found in Subway tuna sandwich
- 8 Where will be the hottest place in Suffolk this weekend?
- 9 Former independent B&B transformed into five-bedroom home
- 10 Teenager arrested after girl assaulted during robbery