Grandmother burgled while asleep
Christine CunninghamA grandmother was shocked to wake up to find her Great Yarmouth home had been burgled while she and her grandson were asleep a court heard yesterday.Christine Cunningham
A grandmother was shocked to wake up to find her Great Yarmouth home had been burgled while she and her grandson were asleep a court heard yesterday.
She found a window in her conservatory was broken and items moved about the home. Norwich Crown Court heard the victim was so distressed she had to go round to her neighbours and police were then called to the scene. It was found that high value electrical items had been taken including a laptop, Xbox games, a microwave, mobile phone and DVD player.
Blood left at the break in was found to belong to Lithuanian Pavel Butkiewicz who through immigration was traced to Wales. Butkiewicz, 21 of no fixed address admitted the burglary on June 25 this year.
Jailing him for 15 months Judge Paul Downes told him 'this was an overnight burglary when people were in the home' he added that it was clear the break in had caused particular distress to the victim.
Andrew Oliver for Butkiewicz said he had come up to Norfolk on the promise of work but this had not materialised 'this left him with no money, he committed this offence to provide him with food and money. It was not planned.'
Mr Oliver said he was an unsophisticated offence as he had left blood at the scene. He said Butkiewicz had now moved to Wales where he would have work and accommodation on his release.
- 1 Coastal wreckage scuba diving club searching for new members
- 2 Woman shot by pellet gun when leaving Lowestoft shop
- 3 'Don't suffer in silence': Support on offer as UK heads for inflation spike
- 4 Seven places to get a fry-up in Lowestoft
- 5 Lowestoft man battling back after prostate cancer diagnosis
- 6 Have you got any memories of the James Paget hospital when it opened?
- 7 East Anglia’s ports tap into fast-growing domestic cruise market
- 8 Mum 'ecstatic' as SEND placement finally found for son with complex needs
- 9 Can you spot yourself in these Lowestoft school photos through the years?
- 10 Coastal town residents urged to vote on future regeneration plan