Great turnout at annual meeting and reunion of town’s evacuees in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
During the Lowestoft Evacuees Committee's recent annual meeting and reunion, the deputy mayor of Lowestoft, Malcolm Cherry, cut a celebratory 75th anniversary cake to mark the occasion.
The committee also discussed forthcoming group visits to Chesterfield and Derbyshire this year, with a day trip to Barlborough planned for July and a four day visit to Glossop in August.
A 'quick roll call' of all those present followed – with the guests transported back to their schooldays as they put their hands up and responded to Lowestoft Evacuees Committee secretary Chris Brooks.
Among those present were five former Gorleston Road School pupils, four hailing from Dell School, five former Church Road Senior Girls School pupils, six who used to attend Church Road Junior School, two formerly at Roman Hill Junior School, 13 former Lovewell Road School pupils, two who attended Morton Road School, one former Notley Road Girls School pupil and two who used to attend Roman Hill Boys School.
During the war, some of these schools were used by the Admiralty as naval training quarters, while others housed school furniture and stock that did not make its way to the Midlands. Two schools – the Central School and Wilde's School, who had sent pupils and staff to the Midlands – were destroyed by enemy bombing.
You may also want to watch:
A slideshow of images from yesteryear were showcased at the meeting, before author Gillian Mawson spoke to the group about her World War Two evacuation books. A buffet lunch and grand draw also took place, and after the meeting chairman Brian Baxter, said: 'It has been a great turnout and we have done very well this week.'
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 5 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 6 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage
- 7 Investigation closed against man who exposed himself in cemetery
- 8 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 9 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 10 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend