Green Party selects first female candidate for three decades
- Credit: Archant
A young mother has been selected as the Green Party's new parliamentary candidate for Waveney.
Elfrede Brambley-Crawshaw is the first female candidate to contest the seat for seven general elections and 33 years.
Mrs Brambley-Crawshaw, 33, was endorsed by members in a selection process that ended on Saturday.
She said: 'I am absolutely delighted to be selected as the Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Waveney.
'The Green Party offers joined-up, evidence based, compassionate policies to be proud of. We are the only party that has real solutions to the challenges of our time; the ever growing inequality that threatens a good standard of living and opportunity for everyone, an environmental crisis that we stand on the brink of and an economic system that benefits the powerful and penalises the ordinary citizen.
You may also want to watch:
'This is an opportunity to challenge and hold to account, those people who make decisions on our behalf. I'm looking forward to it.'
Graham Elliott, four-times former Green Party parliamentary candidate, said: 'It is time for a fresh face for the Green Party in Waveney and I am delighted to endorse and support Elfrede in her new role.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 7 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
'She is very capable, energetic, knowledgeable and caring. But above all she has the skills to engage with the electorate and to empathise with the problems they are facing.'
The last known female candidate was Gillian Mary Artis of the Social Democratic Party in 1983.