Gunton flower festival in memory of talented musician
- Credit: Archant
Floral arrangements on display in a local church this weekend will pay tribute to a talented pianist who gave so much to the musical life of Lowestoft.
The Flower Festival in St Peter's Church, Gunton is entitled 'Musical Moments in Bloom' and has been dedicated to the memory of Marianne Long described by the Revd Trevor Riess as a gifted and talented pianist and organist. She died earlier in the year.
He said: 'Marianne gave so much to the churches in the area. She was the pianist and organist here at Gunton and she was also involved in the Lowestoft Choral Society and lots of other things.'
The flower festival takes place from tomorrow, July 21 until Sunday, July 23, and features 20 arrangements depicting well-known pieces of music. The floral arrangements are the work of the ladies from Lowestoft Flower Club.
Decorative pew ends have been made by members of St Benedict's Friendship Club - who have also made a floral path of flowers in jam jars alongside the walkway leading from the gate to the church.
You may also want to watch:
Artwork by children from Gunton Primary Academy will also be on display at the festival.
Revd Riess added that on Friday lunchtime at noon Alan Zipfel will be playing the organ whilst on Saturday at noon and also at 1.30pm, Lowestoft Choral Society will sing songs based on the themes and titles of the floral exhibits. Then on Sunday afternoon at 2.30pm Terry Hepworth, organist at Pakefield, will give a recital.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 7 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
Refreshments will be available in the annexe between 10am and 4pm and lunches will be available - with money raised at the event going towards the fabric fund of both St Peter's and St Benedict's churches.