Gunton’s family’s thanks for community’s support with pet dog Frank
- Credit: Nick Butcher
'Thank you to the people of Lowestoft and Norfolk – I really am so grateful!' - that was the reaction of a gracious Gunton family this week, as their beloved pet dog Frank prepares for an essential operation today.
As previously reported in The Journal, the Rowan-Lock family issued an appeal for help a fortnight ago as they looked to raise money to fund a vital operation for Frank – a three-year-old Bullmastiff, who has been diagnosed with a dislocated left hind leg that required surgery.
And now, after holding numerous fund-raisers and receiving 'wonderful' donations, the 'amazing' generosity of locals has been hailed – after enough money was secured to help Frank have a brighter future.
The Rowan-Lock family, of Harris Avenue, were dismayed earlier this month when they were told that their otherwise healthy and happy dog needed a potentially life-saving operation. Tara Rowan-Lock said: 'We got Frank and his sister Roxy as puppies three years ago, and they have been fantastic. We realised a few weeks ago that Frank was limping and after taking him to the first vets I was told that because of his size, the operation would cost more than £1,500 and if we didn't have this the likelihood would be that he would have to be put down.'
She asked about a payment plan, but this was not an option. 'I thought: 'Oh my god, what are we going to do?' she admitted.
You may also want to watch:
Seeking a second opinion, she contacted the Wherry Veterinary Hospital in Bungay and was told that an operation would have to be performed within two months, costing £1,200 that includes the rebuilding of his cruciate ligaments in his leg.
After starting a fund-raising drive, the family raised more than £400. Boosted by articles in The Journal and EDP, the local community has rallied round, and with a raffle, cake sale, tombola and tarot card evening, the family has now raised about £1,100 – enough to cover the cost of Frank's operation.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 5 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 6 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 7 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
Miss Rowan-Lock said: 'The support we have received has been absolutely amazing. I didn't realise just how big this would be. I work as a waitress, and someone had seen my photo and they came over and gave me £5 saying this was for Frank – people have been amazing, I can't thank you all enough.'
Have you got a Lowestoft story? Email email@example.com