Health campus set for go-ahead in south Lowestoft
A FORMER factory site in Kirkley could soon be transformed into new healthcare facilities for south Lowestoft.
Plans for a new 'health campus' comprising a care centre, GP services and some community services on vacant brownfield land in Clifton Road have been recommended for approval by planners who meet next week.
NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney recently agreed to invest more than �2.1m in developments across the district at Beccles Health Centre, the proposed South Waveney Healthy Living Centre at Reydon and by purchasing the site at Kirkley.
The �500,000 Kirkley scheme, which sees construction of a new 'health campus to house two GP surgeries and community services', aims to redevelop a site of 0.46 hectares (1.14 acres) with access from Clifton Road and Economy Road.
A report to Waveney District Council's development control committee, which meets at the town hall on Tuesday evening, states: 'The Kirkley Rise site has been identified by NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney as offering an ideal and affordable strategic location for health services south of the river in Lowestoft.
'The centre would provide a range of services and house many of the existing facilities located at Lowestoft Hospital along with two GP surgeries located in close proximity to the site.'
A spokesman for NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney said: 'As well as providing a modern healthcare environment, the new build would also bring services closer to home, in turn reducing the need for patients to travel.'
- 1 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 2 Thug who 'climbed in window and threatened man for over an hour' is jailed
- 3 'Exciting new chapter' at former hospital site for Danny's charity
- 4 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 Lowestoft to receive millions of pounds of investment
- 6 Woman, 19, arrested as hunt for biker continues after serious crash
- 7 Weightlifter abused hospital staff after five day drinking binge
- 8 Honda motorbike stolen as garage targeted at home in Lowestoft
- 9 'A fantastic accolade': Top award honour for community staff nurse
- 10 'Little miracle' baby white rhino introduced into zoo's main enclosure
Waveney planners are recommending that councillors approve the scheme subject to a S106 legal agreement which will seek to ensure that conditions on landscaping and opening times are adhered to.
The report to the committee concludes: 'The proposed health centre will see the relocation of PCT facilities currently provided in Lowestoft Hospital together with two GP surgeries in south Lowestoft.
'The site is sustainably located close to existing services and established residential areas in Kirkley and regeneration of the site accords with the aspirations of the Area Action Plan.
'The proposal can be accommodated on the site without adverse impact on the character or amenity of the locality and adequate parking provision is available within the adjacent car park.'