High fives for Henstead Arts and Craft Centre with business boost
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Since the recession, the economic climate has seen many independent businesses cease trading.
But one rural community will this weekend buck the trend when five new businesses open at an arts and craft centre.
Henstead Arts and Craft Centre, in Toad Row, has already has a diverse selection after opening with 10 workshops and retail units in April 2007.
The original units were converted from redundant farm buildings previously owned by Mr Baxter's father.
But from Sunday (September 25) it will be bolstered by a new cardio and resistance gymnasium, a vintage bookshop, a wedding events unit as well as a photography studio.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Baxter, 48, owner of Henstead Arts and Crafts Centre, said the site had become 'a community hub - particularly The Shed Café, which is a point of contact for members of the community.'
The centre now boasts 16 units, all occupied - 'which must mean we are doing something right!' Mr Baxter said.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 3 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 4 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 5 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 6 O2 phone store burglars facing jail terms for break-in
- 7 Sexual misconduct allegations against Suffolk police officers revealed under FoI laws
- 8 Businesses pitch in to give vital support to Lowestoft charities
- 9 Joy as CityFibre backs Lowestoft landmark with sponsorship deal
- 10 Man charged after late night crash in Lowestoft
'The new courtyard is lovely and hopefully these businesses will give us a boost, as people still do not know we are here,' he added.
Jeremy Carter, from Fitness Solutions - one of the new businesses on the site - said: 'It gives people the opportunity to try and look at something different.
'There is a great selection of traders with interesting products and services for sale.'
The new business units will be officially opened between noon and 4pm on Sunday.
Do you have a story for our In Business page? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 525820.