High fives for Henstead Arts and Craft Centre with business boost
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Since the recession, the economic climate has seen many independent businesses cease trading.
But one rural community will this weekend buck the trend when five new businesses open at an arts and craft centre.
Henstead Arts and Craft Centre, in Toad Row, has already has a diverse selection after opening with 10 workshops and retail units in April 2007.
The original units were converted from redundant farm buildings previously owned by Mr Baxter's father.
But from Sunday (September 25) it will be bolstered by a new cardio and resistance gymnasium, a vintage bookshop, a wedding events unit as well as a photography studio.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Baxter, 48, owner of Henstead Arts and Crafts Centre, said the site had become 'a community hub - particularly The Shed Café, which is a point of contact for members of the community.'
The centre now boasts 16 units, all occupied - 'which must mean we are doing something right!' Mr Baxter said.
- 1 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 2 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 3 Friends and family raise £15,000 for father with rare cancer
- 4 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 5 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 6 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 'Fantastic' - excitement from businesses ahead of May 17 changes
- 9 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 10 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
'The new courtyard is lovely and hopefully these businesses will give us a boost, as people still do not know we are here,' he added.
Jeremy Carter, from Fitness Solutions - one of the new businesses on the site - said: 'It gives people the opportunity to try and look at something different.
'There is a great selection of traders with interesting products and services for sale.'
The new business units will be officially opened between noon and 4pm on Sunday.
Do you have a story for our In Business page? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 525820.