Take a trip through the history of seaside town landmark
Lowestoft's Claremont Pier is up for sale after nearly 50 years of family ownership and is available for £2.5m.
The pier opened in 1903 as a landing stage for steamers bringing day-trippers from central London to the town.
The steamer service to the town ended in 1939 when the middle part of the pier was destroyed to prevent any possibility of Nazi troops invading via the pier.
The pier was abandoned by 1948, and after Lowestoft Town Council decided to not buy the structure, it was sold to actor George Studd for £4,000 who built a reinforced concrete platform and a new pavilion by 1950.
In 1962 the pier-head and some of the main structure was destroyed by storms, and it took until 1988 for major restoration to take place.
You may also want to watch:
Despite this, the seaward end of the pier remains closed for safety reasons, and in 2013 the same repairs would have cost the owner, David Scott, up to £1.5m to fix.
This is the second time the pier has been put up for sale, with an unsuccessful attempt to sell in 2005.
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 5 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 6 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage
- 7 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 8 Investigation closed against man who exposed himself in cemetery
- 9 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 10 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend