Hundreds steam into Southwold for popular rail exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people have made tracks to north Suffolk this weekend.
Model railway enthusiasts steamed into Southwold to attend one of the biggest model railway events in the country – as the largest, and the only two-day, club organised model railway exhibition in East Anglia is held.
The 27th Southwold model railway exhibition took place yesterday and today (Sunday) at Saint Felix School. The annual exhibition, organised by Waveney Valley Model Railway Club (WVMRC), saw 20 layouts – all in different scales – on display at the school in Reydon.
The variety of layouts spanned the decades, and attracted exhibitors from across the country, as it featured miniature railway stations, military vehicles and various demonstrations of modelling techniques.
With the event catering for all levels of interest – from toy railways to finescale modelling – there was plenty for the youngsters to enjoy. As well as the table-height railway layouts, there was also live-steam train and traction engine rides outside, provided by Halesworth and District Model Engineers, along with a gauge one live-steam train that ran around the refreshment marquee.
You may also want to watch:
With a charity raffle supporting the East Anglian Air Ambulance and East Anglian Children's Hospices, there was a special flying visit yesterday from the East Anglian Air Ambulance, while special guest Richard Spendlove – BBC regional radio presenter, creator and co-writer of TV comedy series Oh Dr Beeching – attended the exhibition today.
- 1 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 2 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 3 Man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- 4 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 5 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 6 Extraordinary meeting called over village solar farm
- 7 Fire crew called after child gets stuck in room with faulty latch
- 8 Two men assaulted at children's play park
- 9 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 10 Revealed: Where petrol prices are cheapest in Suffolk