Inaugural Brian Gallagher Memorial Trophy to be held at Amber Dew Events Stadium
- Credit: James Bass
Waveney FC and Lowestoft Town FC will compete in the inaugural Brian Gallagher Memorial Trophy on Tuesday, July 4.
Mr Gallagher, who died in October 2013, founded Waveney Youth Football Club and coached some of the most successful teams in the Norfolk and Suffolk Youth League's history.
Over 100 of the players who benefitted from his advice played for Lowestoft's first-team, in addition to Premier League footballers Daryl Sutch and Lee Durrant.
A spokesman for Waveney FC said: 'Following a meeting between Mark Gamble, Waveney FC's Development Officer and Gary Keyzor, Lowestoft Town FC Chairman, it was decided to instigate an annual match dedicated to Brian's memory.
'So many footballers in the Lowestoft area have him to thank for starting their careers.'
You may also want to watch:
The match kicks off at 7.30pm at Lowestoft Town's Amber Dew Events Stadium. Waveney FC U17s will play a friendly beforehand at 5pm.
Mr Gallagher's brother David has agreed to present the trophy to the winning side.
- 1 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree