Inaugural Brian Gallagher Memorial Trophy to be held at Amber Dew Events Stadium
- Credit: James Bass
Waveney FC and Lowestoft Town FC will compete in the inaugural Brian Gallagher Memorial Trophy on Tuesday, July 4.
Mr Gallagher, who died in October 2013, founded Waveney Youth Football Club and coached some of the most successful teams in the Norfolk and Suffolk Youth League's history.
Over 100 of the players who benefitted from his advice played for Lowestoft's first-team, in addition to Premier League footballers Daryl Sutch and Lee Durrant.
A spokesman for Waveney FC said: 'Following a meeting between Mark Gamble, Waveney FC's Development Officer and Gary Keyzor, Lowestoft Town FC Chairman, it was decided to instigate an annual match dedicated to Brian's memory.
'So many footballers in the Lowestoft area have him to thank for starting their careers.'
You may also want to watch:
The match kicks off at 7.30pm at Lowestoft Town's Amber Dew Events Stadium. Waveney FC U17s will play a friendly beforehand at 5pm.
Mr Gallagher's brother David has agreed to present the trophy to the winning side.
- 1 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 2 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 5 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 6 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 7 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 8 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 9 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted