Inaugural Race for Life for families event at Gunton Primary Academy is a success
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Schools across Lowestoft have raised thousands of pounds completing their very own Race for Life events.
Hundreds of children, staff and family members at three schools in the town took up the challenge in supporting Cancer Research UK's Race for Life.
Pupils at Gunton Primary Academy were joined by parents and staff for an inaugural Race for Life for families event.
Participants received medals after walking or running around three routes on the school grounds in Gainsborough Drive on June 10, with Year 6 sports leaders and PE teacher Alex Kounnas overseeing the event.
Headteacher Matthew Jordan said: 'It has been a nice community event, with a good turnout of parents and we are very proud to host it for such a great cause.
You may also want to watch:
'Our School Council decided that they would like us to support Cancer Research this year as a charity. This was after discussions in classes and helping cancer charities was a very popular choice as many of our families have been involved in Race for Life events.
'The school council decided that they would like it to be a family event after school, not just for children, which I felt was really nice.'
- 1 Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- 2 New policy unveiled for commemorative benches across district
- 3 Ladder used by fire crew to rescue injured gull
- 4 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 5 Filthy houses sought to feature in Channel 5 show
- 6 Thief smashed window to steal money box from car
- 7 ‘Great opportunity’: Flats in coastal town set for auction
- 8 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 9 Development of iconic Gull Wing bridge to be documented by local company
- 10 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
With those that took part donating to the cause, there was no minimum or maximum distance to complete – although many of the enthusiastic youngsters completed between one and two miles.
With the final amounts still being tallied, such was the success of the event that the school is looking to hold another Race for Life in the future.
? Have you got a Lowestoft education story? Email email@example.com