Search

Jack Rose Old Lowestoft Society

PUBLISHED: 11:50 17 July 2009 | UPDATED: 10:54 06 July 2010

Don Friston made a return journey to his ancestral home at Corton at this month's meeting at Trinity Methodist Church. Now with technical problems ironed out with the society's IT equipment, Don continued from his May visit with his history of the construction of Corton Church of England School and the involvement of the Colman family of Norwich in the village.

Don Friston made a return journey to his ancestral home at Corton at this month's meeting at Trinity Methodist Church. Now with technical problems ironed out with the society's IT equipment, Don continued from his May visit with his history of the construction of Corton Church of England School and the involvement of the Colman family of Norwich in the village. Before their arrival, Corton was effectively owned by two families, the Ives and the Fowlers who lived at Gunton Old Hall. This all changed with the arrival of Jeremiah Colman who did much to improve the village. As well as giving Corton its present village hall in perpetuity, Jeremiah also donated the land for the building of the new school which eventually opened in 1896. Although following Jeremiah Colman's death at the end of the nineteenth century, his son showed little interest in Corton, the Fristons on the other hand remained in the area until after the Second World War.

Next month's meeting will be on Friday 14 August and will be the society's annual walkabout. Meeting at Trinity Methodist Church at the earlier time of 6.45 pm, the evening will be a historical “treasure hunt” starting in the High Street and finishing at Stella Maris in Gordon Road; contact the secretary on 01502 564601 for more details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists