Jill, a stalwart hospital fundraiser
TRIBUTES have been paid to a popular fundraiser at the James Paget University Hospital.Jill Jacobs and her partner, Dave Hughes, were the smiling pair at the hospital invariably to be found from early morning until evening seated in the concourse offering novelties for sale in aid of the hospital.
TRIBUTES have been paid to a popular fundraiser at the James Paget University Hospital.
Jill Jacobs and her partner, Dave Hughes, were the smiling pair at the hospital invariably to be found from early morning until evening seated in the concourse offering novelties for sale in aid of the hospital.
They also used to help organise the annual hospital fete, held until 2009 in the hospital grounds.
Born in Norwich on April 10, 1944, Jill trained as a nurse at Hope Hospital, Manchester. She returned to the county later and settled at Gorleston, working at the adult training centre at Great Yarmouth.
You may also want to watch:
Despite her cheerful, indomitable smile, she suffered from rheumatoid arthritis and a heart condition. In 1992 Jill underwent a bypass operation at Papworth Hospital.
It was the cardiologist at the James Paget who referred her to Papworth, and, after her recovery, Jill felt that she wanted to give something back to the hospital that had arranged her life-saving care. So, she dedicated her life to raising funds for the hospital.
- 1 Charred remains show aftermath of fire at children's play area
- 2 Investigations continue after drugs seized during raid
- 3 Cooler conditions keep crowds away from east coast
- 4 Man dies following collision on A12
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: Arsonist, burglar and drug dealer all behind bars
- 6 Which Norfolk Wetherspoons pubs are reopening from April 12?
- 7 Anger after trees 'cut down without any consent'
- 8 Roads closed and traffic diverted for pothole repairs
- 9 17-year-old boy missing for more than a month found
- 10 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
However, she suffered an aneurysm last December and died later.
Her funeral was held last month.
Jill leaves her partner, her brother and sister Ian and Rosemary, sons Jason and Joseph and grandchildren Daisy, Kitty, and Julius.
It was Jill's wish that the fundraising should continue, and son Joseph and some of her friends are manning the stall at present.