Join our fight against fire service cuts in Lowestoft and Wrentham
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was a week in which the public came out in their droves to demonstrate their opposition - and which showed the pressure our brilliant firefighters are under.
So today, The Journal is launching a vital campaign to preserve our area's much-needed fire stations.
Suffolk County Council has proposed closing Wrentham fire station and removing an on-call fire engine from Lowestoft South, reducing the town's number of fire engines from four to three.
Chief fire officer Mark Hardingham, who has been told he must save £1.3million from the service's £22million budget by 2017, believes that leaves the area with adequate fire cover.
But residents at two public meetings in the last week strongly disagreed, with many arguing: 'Cuts cost lives.'
You may also want to watch:
And the Fire Brigades Union said a major warehouse blaze this week, along with two fires in quick succession on Saturday, demonstrated how important proper fire cover is.
Journal editor Andrew Papworth said: 'The loss of fire stations is a step too far, and that's why The Journal's SOS – Save Our Stations - starts today.
- 1 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Memorial service for 'wonderful' veteran who helped the community
- 4 Victorian footbridge in Lowestoft set to undergo 'significant repairs'
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 6 'Special' feeling for care home staff following award nominations
- 7 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 8 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 9 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 10 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
'Join our fight.'
See special report in today's Journal.