Join our fight against fire service cuts in Lowestoft and Wrentham
PUBLISHED: 07:11 05 February 2016 | UPDATED: 07:11 05 February 2016
It was a week in which the public came out in their droves to demonstrate their opposition - and which showed the pressure our brilliant firefighters are under.
So today, The Journal is launching a vital campaign to preserve our area’s much-needed fire stations.
Suffolk County Council has proposed closing Wrentham fire station and removing an on-call fire engine from Lowestoft South, reducing the town’s number of fire engines from four to three.
Chief fire officer Mark Hardingham, who has been told he must save £1.3million from the service’s £22million budget by 2017, believes that leaves the area with adequate fire cover.
But residents at two public meetings in the last week strongly disagreed, with many arguing: “Cuts cost lives.”
And the Fire Brigades Union said a major warehouse blaze this week, along with two fires in quick succession on Saturday, demonstrated how important proper fire cover is.
Journal editor Andrew Papworth said: “The loss of fire stations is a step too far, and that’s why The Journal’s SOS – Save Our Stations - starts today.
“Join our fight.”
See special report in today’s Journal.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.