Judge warns of macho-driving as two jailed for death crash
Ben KendallTwo young Norfolk men who admitted killing teenager Stacey Cutts as they raced their cars at more than 100mph along the A140 have been jailed after the judge warned of the dangers of macho-driving.Ben Kendall
Two young men who admitted killing teenager Stacey Cutts as they raced their cars at more than 100mph along the A140 have been jailed.
Jake Riseborough, 19, of St Mary's Close, Harleston, and Tom Wright, 23, of Bury Road, Wortham, had earlier pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving at Norwich Crown Court.
Miss Cutts, from Harleston, was celebrating six days after her 18th birthday when the Toyota Celica she was travelling in, driven by her boyfriend Wright, lost control and crashed on the main A140 Ipswich Road last April.
The court heard that Wright had been incensed after Riseborough overtook him. Prosecutor John Farmer said: "It was quite clear the chase was on - this was a race."
You may also want to watch:
The two cars raced each other until Wright lost control. His car hit fencing and trees next to the junction with Marlpit Lane, Tasburgh, killing Miss Cutts, and injuring another girl.
Witnesses said the men's vehicles were often less than one car's length apart and repeatedly overtook one another. Some estimated their speed at upto 120mph.
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 4 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 5 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 6 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 7 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 8 What is the future for Lowestoft's historic high street?
- 9 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 10 Lockdown inspires key worker to lose six stone in weight
Matthew McNiff, mitigating on behalf of Wright, said: "He recognises that custody is something that must follow and will follow. Nothing should take away from how sad the family's loss is.
"He has, from the word go, accepted his responsibility and it is clear his remorse is deeply felt and is genuine."
Stephen Spence, on behalf Riseborough, said: "He himself did not have an accident and he was not a direct contributor to the accident - this was not a case of another vehicle crashing after avoiding his manoeuvre."
Wright had previous convictions for speeding and driving without due care and attention. Riseborough had a list of convictions for various driving matters, including anti-social driving, failure to report an accident and speeding.
Judge Paul Downes jailed Wright and Riseborough for three and a half years each. He said: "If any example were needed of the dangers of macho driving by young men, this is the case."
t For more on this story, including reaction from the family, see tomorrow's newspaper.