Land at Sizewell B for nuclear build
THE land next to the existing Sizewell B power station is to be formally nominated for a new nuclear build.It has been entered into the Government's strategic site assessment process to identify suitable sites for nuclear power.
THE land next to the existing Sizewell B power station is to be formally nominated for a new nuclear build.
It has been entered into the Government's strategic site assessment process to identify suitable sites for nuclear power.
EDF Energy, which now incorporates British Energy, plans to build two new nuclear reactors on its site at Sizewell, subject to receiving all the necessary consents and to a robust investment framework being in place.
British Energy sought the views of the local community on a prospective new build at Sizewell last year.
Richard Mayson, external affairs director for EDF Energy's new nuclear project said: 'The feedback from the consultation undertaken last year was very positive. We believe our land at Sizewell to be an excellent site for new nuclear build and we intend to nominate the land into the Government's process to identify suitable sites for new nuclear power.
'No final decision has been made on possible sites and it is important that members of the public and local communities know when and how to have their say.
- 1 One of the world's largest container ships anchors off coast
- 2 Three men arrested after 'unofficial Supermarket Sweep' in town centre
- 3 Mystery continues as owner of 'massive' snake yet to come forward
- 4 New fully vegan café to open in Lowestoft
- 5 A146 near Beccles closed by police after crash
- 6 Charity match boosts worthy cause after man's life-saving surgery
- 7 Bank holiday beer festival to take place at seafront pavilion
- 8 Family's appeal after factory worker's asbestos-related death
- 9 Behind the scenes as 'world class' circus artistes unite with young gymnasts
- 10 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
'We already have strong links with the local community at Sizewell through the existing power stations and EDF Energy's wider presence in East Anglia. We are keen for local people to be involved with the proposals for the new nuclear build through ongoing consultation.'
Earlier this year, the Government published details of the process, by which the nuclear industry can nominate sites for potential new nuclear power stations and the criteria against which potential sites will be assessed.