Last chance to enter a team for dragon boat festival
- Credit: Archant
With just a few weeks to go until the East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival, there's still time to get your team together and take to the water.
And what better way to keep cool in a heatwave than with a day of competitive fun of racing at Oulton Broad.
More than 20 teams are expected to battle it out in spectacular races on Saturday, August 11, cheered on by hundreds of spectators in Nicholas Everitt Park. Businesses and groups across Norfolk and Suffolk are invited to get involved and test their mettle against the new and returning crews who have already booked their places on the start line, with the option to raise sponsorship for a favourite charity.
The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided by race organisers, Gable Events, and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races.
No previous experience is needed to take part, just plenty of team spirit and enthusiasm, and medals and trophies are awarded for the top three crews, top mixed crew and the 'best dressed' crew.
You may also want to watch:
The festival, supported by the Lowestoft Journal, promises a fantastic day for competitors and spectators alike with children's rides, inflatable activities and plenty of food and drink for all the family on the bankside. Entry is free to spectators and 'pay and display' parking will be available.
This year's festival is sponsored by Warner Leisure Hotels and Ian Gyte, operations director, said: 'We are proud to be sponsoring the 12th East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival. The Warner team are excited about representing our two East Anglia hotels Gunton Hall and Corton Coastal Village, whilst raising vital funds for Macmillan Cancer Support, the friendly competitiveness has already kicked in.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 3 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 4 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 5 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 6 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 7 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 8 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 9 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park
- 10 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
'Our guests are brilliant and are always keen on supporting and getting involved in fundraising challenges and we can't wait to join all the other teams on the start line.'
Other teams already signed up include East Anglia ONE Wind Farm, Norfolk Drywall, Associated British Ports, Lings Motor Group, Anglian Demolition, Aquaterra Energy, Continental Product Engineering, GCB Recruitment, Grosvenor Casino, Jarrolds, Lovewell Blake, Musker McIntyre Estate Agents and Tippers 'R' Us.
For further information and an entry form, visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or call festival organisers Gable Events on 01780 470718.