Let's hear it for our armed forces
LOWESTOFT will pay tribute to Britain's armed forces at a special event taking place on Royal Green next weekend.Performances by military bands will be followed by a parade of standards, displays and entertainment as ex-services groups are joined by cadet units and charities to celebrate National Armed Forces Day on Saturday, June 26.
LOWESTOFT will pay tribute to Britain's armed forces at a special event taking place on Royal Green next weekend.
Performances by military bands will be followed by a parade of standards, displays and entertainment as ex-services groups are joined by cadet units and charities to celebrate National Armed Forces Day on Saturday, June 26.
The event starts at 10.15am with a display by the Band of 469 (Lowestoft) Squadron Air Training Corps, followed by a drill display by B Coy Army Cadet Force (Royal Artillery) and a performance by the Royal British Legion (RBL) band from Leiston.
At midday, the main parade will take place, along with a drumhead service of commemoration conducted by the Rev Duncan McMann, honouring the nation's armed forces of the past and paying tribute to those of the present and future.
Between 1pm and 3pm, there will be a display by Lowestoft Fencing Club, a physical training display by TS Europa Sea Cadet Corps and further musical performances by the RBL band and by the band of the Air Training Corps.
Among organisations that plan to have stands and static displays are the Royal Anglian Regiment (TA), the Lowestoft War Memorial Museum, ex-services groups and charities.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in Lowestoft due to incident
- 2 Police seek help to identify man after wallet theft
- 3 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 4 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 5 Lowestoft man jailed after breaching restraining order within an hour
- 6 Street to be decorated with Christmas decorations for Children's charity
- 7 Crackdown on second home owners exploiting tax loophole on coast
- 8 Arsonist to be sentenced after admitting starting blaze at block of flats
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of GBH
- 10 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
There will also be military vehicles and weapons on show and a bouncy castle and giant slide for children.
The event is free to attend.
A spokesman for the organisers welcomed along any present or past servicemen or women and as many assoc-iation standards as possible. Current service personnel are being encouraged to attend in uniform.
More information from Leo Whisstock, on 01502 584555 or 07966 879106.
National Express East Anglia has launched an Armed Forces Day offer by giving away up to 1,500 complim-entary tickets to serving members and veterans of the Army, RAF and Royal Navy to travel to any Armed Forces Day event in the region, including the one in Lowestoft. Details at www.armedforcesday.org.uk. Serving personnel and veterans can register for a ticket at www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/forcesday