Lifeboat demonstration followed by real rescue for Lowestoft and Aldeburgh crews

Southwold Lifeboat Day 2015

Southwold Lifeboat Day 2015 - Credit: Archant

Southwold lifeboat the Annie Tranmer was joined by Lowestoft's Patsy Knight and Aldeburgh's Freddie Cooper for a display of rescue techniques, before being called out to do the real thing.

Motor cruiser Jodi under tow by Lowestoft lifeboat.

Motor cruiser Jodi under tow by Lowestoft lifeboat. - Credit: Archant

The Southwold crew acted as seamen who abandoned their boat and boarded a raft, setting of flares to attract attention.

They were 'rescued' from the raft and taken back to Southwold lifeboat station, which was open all day as part of the event yesterday.

There was also a sandcastle competition sponsored by Suzie's Beach Cafe, judged by architect Brian Haward and souvenirs on sale around the town.

It was all organised by the Southwold and Dunwich RNLI fundraising branch, with all profits going to the charity.

You may also want to watch:

But the lifeboat crews did not have much time to enjoy the rest of the day's entertainment as a motor cruiser off Orford put out an emergency call after a fire broke out on board.

Lowestoft lifeboat coxswain John Fox said: 'We had just enjoyed a fish and chip meal with our fellow crewmen when at 1pm the Aldeburgh crew's pagers sounded an alert.

Most Read

'Aldeburgh's inshore lifeboat Christine was immediately launched from its home base while Humber Coastguard tasked the two all-weather lifeboats to head from Southwold to the incident.

'In our new, faster Shannon-class lifeboat Patsy Knight it took us less than 30 minutes to reach the vessel in distress which was one and a half miles off Orford Light.

'When we arrived our colleagues in the inshore lifeboat were already on scene and they were making sure that the two crew and their two dogs on board the boat, an 11-metre motor cruiser named Jodi were OK.'

The cruiser was towed towards the River Alde, before the Lowestoft crew passed the line to Aldeburgh's Freddie Cooper, who towed the boat to Orford Quay where it was met by the fire service.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter