Lifeboat museum plans to grow
A MUSEUM which tells the story of Southwold's lifeboat history is hoping to expand to make space for more visitors and new displays.The Alfred Corry museum at the town's harbour is home to the 116-year-old lifeboat from which the attraction takes its name, which is undergoing restoration.
A MUSEUM which tells the story of Southwold's lifeboat history is hoping to expand to make space for more visitors and new displays.
The Alfred Corry museum at the town's harbour is home to the 116-year-old lifeboat from which the attraction takes its name, which is undergoing restoration.
It offers an insight into the crews from 1893 to 1919 who saved 47 lives, and now the museum trust wants to build a new display area and reception to give visitors and school children a better understanding of the lifeboat and its history.
Plans have been submitted to Waveney District Council for a new building next to the existing museum, which is housed in the old 1923 Cromer Pier lifeboat shed. The buildings would be joined together with a link block which would become the museum's reception.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Thompson from the museum said: 'Although the work restoring the boat is coming along nicely, we have photographs and other exhibits which can't be seen in there because the boat takes up so much room.
'An extension will allow people to move around. We have quite a few school groups but at the moment there is nowhere for them to stand or sit because the Alfred Corry is much larger than the old Cromer lifeboat was and takes up most of the shed.'
- 1 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 2 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 5 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 6 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 7 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 8 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 9 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 10 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
Southwold Town Council has given the scheme its backing and the plans are expected to be discussed by Waveney District Council later in the spring.