Long-serving Waveney Green parliamentary candidate announces he is standing down
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Bob Blizzard's decision to retire from parliamentary politics was not the only end of an era in Waveney political history, as long-serving Green candidate Graham Elliott also decided to call it a day.
In his speech after the declaration of the result at Lowestoft's Waterlane Leisure Centre – in which he took the Greens to fourth place for the first time, ahead of the Liberal Democrats – he said: 'This is the fourth time I have stood for parliament – so I have got one less than Bob, but my record is not quite as good.
'I have been unsuccessful four times but I have gone up a notch now into fourth place, so that is significant progress for us. It is significant progress that we will be building on.
'Like Bob, this is the last time I will be standing for parliament.'
Mr Elliott said a 'fantastic candidate' in Elfrede Brambley-Crawshaw was waiting in the wings to take over – but stressed there would be a selection process and that she would be challenged for the position if there are other capable potential candidates.
You may also want to watch:
'That is positive and I am really excited about working with the green team in the future, more than I have been in the past,' said Mr Elliott, who retained Beccles North seat on Waveney District Council and will continue to serve on the authority.
'We have a future of young people involved.'
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 4 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 7 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 8 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
What do you think of the Green Party's performance in this year's general election? Write, giving your full contact details, to: Journal Postbox, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft NR32 1NB or email firstname.lastname@example.org