Long-serving Waveney Green parliamentary candidate announces he is standing down
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Bob Blizzard's decision to retire from parliamentary politics was not the only end of an era in Waveney political history, as long-serving Green candidate Graham Elliott also decided to call it a day.
In his speech after the declaration of the result at Lowestoft's Waterlane Leisure Centre – in which he took the Greens to fourth place for the first time, ahead of the Liberal Democrats – he said: 'This is the fourth time I have stood for parliament – so I have got one less than Bob, but my record is not quite as good.
'I have been unsuccessful four times but I have gone up a notch now into fourth place, so that is significant progress for us. It is significant progress that we will be building on.
'Like Bob, this is the last time I will be standing for parliament.'
Mr Elliott said a 'fantastic candidate' in Elfrede Brambley-Crawshaw was waiting in the wings to take over – but stressed there would be a selection process and that she would be challenged for the position if there are other capable potential candidates.
You may also want to watch:
'That is positive and I am really excited about working with the green team in the future, more than I have been in the past,' said Mr Elliott, who retained Beccles North seat on Waveney District Council and will continue to serve on the authority.
'We have a future of young people involved.'
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 3 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 4 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 5 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 6 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 7 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 8 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 9 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 10 Latitude Festival 2021: Supergrass kicks off sunny second day
What do you think of the Green Party's performance in this year's general election? Write, giving your full contact details, to: Journal Postbox, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft NR32 1NB or email firstname.lastname@example.org