Inaugural hockey tournament for Cubs proves a success
- Credit: Archant
A series of exciting hockey matches were enjoyed as an inaugural tournament was hailed a success.
More than 60 youngsters took to the East Point Academy all weather pitches at the weekend as the Lowestoft District Cubs hockey tournament was successfully held.
Ten teams of youngsters took part in the fun hockey tournament for the first time – and all really took to the sport. More than 60 cubs competed in the tournament as the 10 teams, representing six packs, spent four hours playing a total of 22 exciting games of hockey in the tournament hosted by the Lowestoft Railway Hockey Club (LRHC).
Wearing different coloured t-shirts, provided by LRHC, the cubs formed six-a-side teams with no goalkeepers and played a round-robin competition in two pools. The winning team in each pool then battled it out for the gold and silver medals, with the runners-up playing for bronze.
14th Lowestoft Green took the trophy in a well-contested final against 1st Oulton Broad Blue, whilst 1st Oulton Broad White took bronze with victory over 1st Carlton Colville Orange.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Bloodworth, speaking on behalf of LRHC, said: 'The cubs, who all played their best and enjoyed the day, received medals and certificates to recognise their enthusiastic efforts.
'Both the cubs' Assistant District Commissioner's team and the LRHC team, who jointly organised the event, were more than pleased with its success and hope to make this tournament an annual event.'
For information about Lowestoft Railway Hockey Club and how to get involved in hockey, visit www.lrhc.org.uk
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 5 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 6 Concerns raised over 'excessive' feeding of ducks at popular pond
- 7 Swimmer in trouble at sea sparks lifeboat and coastguards response
- 8 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
- 9 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft
- 10 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat